We are seeking a highly motivated and curious researcher who will work on the interplay between trust and vulnerability in technology-immersed work settings, such as hybrid work and virtual learning environments, advanced analytics ecosystems, or employee-leader-algorithms triads. You will benefit from an interdisciplinary team of people management, organization- and communication studies experts conducting innovative research on technology and work relationships, such as people analytics, algorithmic management, innovation ecosystems, and "robots as new team members". As such, you will join the IEBIS section of the High-tech Business & Entrepreneurship Department (HBE) at the Faculty of Behavioural Management and Social Sciences.
- Are you enthusiastic about exploring the dynamics of interpersonal trust and vulnerability in the landscape of technology-immersed work settings?
- Are you curious about pushing beyond theoretical boundaries and initiating a qualitative inquiry?
- Do you want to immerse in purpose-driven work settings (e.g., NGOs, learning environments) to address real-world challenges?
- Do you have a desire to make an impact on the design and management of workplace technology for the greater good of organizations and employees?
If so, we invite you to join our team and embark on an intellectually stimulating PhD adventure!
This Ph.D. research strives to deepen our understanding of vulnerability and trust as crucial aspects of interpersonal relationships at work. Scholars across domains have unanimously recognized that vulnerability lies at the heart of trust, grounded in positive expectations of another party. Nevertheless, despite its pivotal role, the precise nuances of vulnerability within the context of trust remain under-explored. This shortage of knowledge becomes even more worrisome as growing levels of technological sophistication in the workplace highlight human vulnerability and "reshuffle" the foundation on which trust was believed to be built.
Information and application
Are you interested in joining our interdisciplinary team with dr. Simon Schafheitle, dr. Suzanne Janssen and prof. dr. Klaasjan Visscher? Please submit your application before Dec 10th, 2023, and include:
- A cover letter (maximum 2 pages A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications, and motivations to apply for this position;
- A Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained, and, if applicable, an overview of publications and references;
- An IELTS test, Internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT), or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE). Applicants with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS test showing a total band score of at least 6.5, internet. TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score of at least 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
Additional information can be acquired via email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the department
The HBE department is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive working culture. Our aim is that all job applicants are given equal opportunities. When we select candidates for employment, it will be based on their competence and ability. To support workforce diversity, we are open to offering flexible working conditions on an individual basis to support work-life balance, which may include a contract of employment, working hours and location, or childcare arrangements.
The High Business Entrepreneurship corporate video can be watched via this link.
About the organisation
The Faculty of Behavioral, Management and Social sciences (BMS) aims to play a key role in understanding, jointly developing and evaluating innovations in society. Technological developments are the engine of innovation. As a technical university that puts people first, we tailor them to human needs and behavior and use social engineering to integrate them into society. We also ensure adequate governance at public and private level, and robust, inclusive and fair organizational structures. We do this by developing, sharing and applying high-quality knowledge in Psychology, Business Administration, Public Administration, Communication Sciences, Philosophy, Educational Sciences and Health Sciences. Our research and education in these disciplines revolves around tackling and solving societal challenges. The research programs of BMS are closely linked to the research of the UT institutes Mesa+ Institute for Nanotechnology, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the Faculty of BMS offers work that matters. We equip you to create new possibilities for yourself and for our society. With us, you will become part of a leading technical university with increasing, positive social impact. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial atmosphere, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example through our flexible, adaptable benefits.