PhD Position in information systems for AI in industrial SMEs
We are looking for a highly motivated and curious PhD candidate who will work on the AI-enabled transformation of small-and-medium enterprises. The successful applicant will join the enthusiastic research team in the Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems (IEBIS) section of the High-tech Business & Entrepreneurship Department (HBE) at the Faculty of Behavioural, Management, and Social Sciences (BMS).
You will take on one of the most ambitious topics in the field of industrialization: digitalization and artificial intelligence (AI) with autonomous machines, sensor data, and decision support systems. The challenge remains that despite technological advances, the use of AI technologies remains below expectations in industry practice. Effective use of these novel technologies would enable precision farming and manufacturing as well as sustainable intensification, which can have profound impacts on climate change and economic performance. In this PhD project, you will explore a rich contextual understanding of human-AI interactions. Shining light into the interactions of manual laborers and AI will contribute novel understanding of how human-AI configurations at work emerge.
The research carried out during this PhD assignment is expected to contribute to theoretical advancements and practical applications. Tasks the candidate is expected to execute include:
- Identify problems and set an agenda for future research on AI in manufacturing and agriculture;
- Deepen the understanding of human-AI work through fieldwork, including qualitative (interviews), quantitative (experiments, surveys), and/or computational (digital traces) approaches;
- Advance theory on digital transformation of work from manual labour to knowledge worker;
- Develop and validate technical and organizational interventions that help industrial SMEs adopt novel AI-based technologies successfully;
- Equip SMEs with the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively use AI and succeed in times of machine learning and AI.
As a doctoral student, your key responsibilities will be to manage and carry out research projects within 48 months and write a PhD thesis. You will participate in research and training activities and disseminate research in the scientific community (international journals and conferences) and non-scientific community by outreach and public engagement.
You will also be responsible for taking courses per the research education and liaising with the other research staff, students, and partner institutions working in broad areas relevant to the research project.
Participation in other department duties, such as meetings, or teaching, is expected to cover a maximum scope of 20%.
Information and application
Are you interested in being part of our team? Please submit your application before 17th December and include:
- A cover letter (maximum 2 pages A4), emphasizing your specific interest, qualifications, and motivations to apply for this position;
- A Curriculum Vitae, including a list of all courses attended and grades obtained, and, if applicable, a list of publications and references;
- An IELTS-test, Internet TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT), or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE). Applicants with a non-Dutch qualification and who have not had secondary and tertiary education in English can only be admitted with an IELTS-test showing a total band score of at least 6.5, internet. TOEFL test (TOEFL-iBT) showing a score of at least 90, or a Cambridge CAE-C (CPE).
Additional information can be acquired via email from Joschka Hüllmann, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the department
The HBE department is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive working culture. Our aim is that all job applicants are given equal opportunities. When we select candidates for employment, it will be on the basis of their competence and ability. To support the workforce diversity, we are open to offer flexible working conditions on an individual basis to support work-life balance, that may include contract of employment, working hours and location, or child care arrangements.
The High Business Entrepreneurship corporate video can be watched via this link.
About the organisation
The Faculty of Behavioral, Management and Social sciences (BMS) aims to play a key role in understanding, jointly developing and evaluating innovations in society. Technological developments are the engine of innovation. As a technical university that puts people first, we tailor them to human needs and behavior and use social engineering to integrate them into society. We also ensure adequate governance at public and private level, and robust, inclusive and fair organizational structures. We do this by developing, sharing and applying high-quality knowledge in Psychology, Business Administration, Public Administration, Communication Sciences, Philosophy, Educational Sciences and Health Sciences. Our research and education in these disciplines revolves around tackling and solving societal challenges. The research programs of BMS are closely linked to the research of the UT institutes Mesa+ Institute for Nanotechnology, TechMed Center and Digital Society Institute.
As an employer, the Faculty of BMS offers work that matters. We equip you to create new possibilities for yourself and for our society. With us, you will become part of a leading technical university with increasing, positive social impact. We offer an open, inclusive and entrepreneurial atmosphere, in which we encourage you to make healthy choices, for example through our flexible, adaptable benefits.